Friday, May 1, 2009

Modest Mouse: The World at Large


From the fanciful guitar at the beginning and the vocals delivered as if they are a conversation to the subtle string arrangements and repeated vocal refrain uh uh uh ah uh that gives the song an infectious undercurrent this song should be counted among Modest Mouse's best. "The World at Large" is the second track, first song really, off of Good News for People Who Love Bad News. The song almost feels like a proclamation, a sort of renewing, but never a complete abdication of the old.

I love what the song doesn't do. They were able to abstain from cluttering "The World at Large" with a sparse drum beat made up mainly of bass drum thuds. While The Moon & Antartica was more of their coming of age album that showed an undiscovered depth and ability to make a cohesive statement from beginning to end, Good News for People Who Love Bad News displayed the unpretentious ability that all who were fans knew Modest Mouse had, to appeal to a broader audience without sacrificing anything.

My favorite snippet of lyrics:

I like songs about drifters - books about the same.
They both seem to make me feel a little less insane.
Walked on off to another spot.
I still haven't gotten anywhere that I want.
Did I want love? Did I need to know?
Why does it always feel like I'm caught in an undertow?

Song Breakdown:

Best Place and Time to Listen:

Your next pier picnic with jug of wine in tow and legs dangling over the water.

If This Song Was a Celebrity It Would Be:

Ferdinand Magellan.