Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Cure: Inbetween Days


Trying to pick a song that best describes The Cure is a near impossibility and a task not for the weak at heart. So who better to have the The Prafessa ask to take on this epic adventure than LIL C? As I looked through my extensive collection of songs and records, I decided to go with one that I believe appeals to the widest variety of fans and critics alike.

From the brooding, yet optimisitic album Head on the Door comes the opening song "Inbetween Days," that encapsulates the Cure's mesmerizing lyrics and hooks. From the beginning, Robert Smith has changed the way rock music has looked as well as sounded. With "Inbetween Days" he works the love angle that only he posses, a simple lament over an insanely catchy beat. With hypnotic keyboards throughout the whole track, The Cure envelopes the listener over and over again. The cure's influence on music is immeasurable on many levels, From punk rock to what many would be called "emo," as well as the rock genre in general. A song of heartbreak, with just enough tough of optimI was priviledged to see the cure this past summer, and they were priviliged to have me scream like a school girl.

"Yesterday I got so scared I shivered like a child
Yesterday away from you it froze me deep inside
Come back come back don't walk away
Come back come back come back today
Come back come back why can't you see
Come back come back come back to me"

Song Breakdown

Best Time and Place to Listen:
Wembley Stadium, 7 consecutive nights, with 100,000 Brits screaming their heads off.

If This Song Was a Celebrity It Would Be:
Bill Murray in Rushmore


Inbetween Days - The Cure