Friday, June 5, 2009

Fleet Foxes: Ragged Wood


I know you're used to bad-ass music from the bad-ass Prafessa, but let's take a short sidetrip... This is one of the only songs from Fleet Foxes' 2008 self-titled album that doesn't sound like something you'd hear at a Ren Faire. Don't get me wrong, I love the entire album, but Ragged Wood has a certain joie de vivre that the other tracks don't really capture. It has the feel of Appalachian love lost. The harmonies are dead-on, the relentless drums flow easily along with a major tempo change, it's almost got a free-form quality to it.

"Come down from the mountain, you have been gone too long. The spring is upon us, follow my only song. Settle down with me by the fire of my yearning....Tell me anything you want, any old lie will do. Call me back to you, back to you."

Song Breakdown

Best Time and Place to Listen:
Heading out for a long day hike, pocket-sized Walden in your backpack.

If This Song Was a Celebrity:
Naturalist John Muir

Click Below to Listen to Ragged Wood!

03 Ragged Wood.wma