Saturday, April 4, 2009

Amadou & Mariam: Sabali


This band's makeup is almost as interesting as their music . . . almost. Amadou & Mariam are a blind, African husband and wife duo that has made music together for nearly 30 years to fan and critical claim alike. Sabali is a sort of anomaly for them, but a song that produced multiple visceral reactions: moving, confusing and fantastic. It was one of those experiences where I didn't exactly know what to make of it, but only that I needed to listen to it again.

I'm not exactly sure what the message of Sabali off the album Welcome to Mali, but it's sound produces true wonderment and excitement about cross-cultural implications when interesting music is the prevailing mogality. This song alone was produced by Damon Alburn of Blur and Gorillaz fame.

Song Breakdown

Best Place and Time for Listen:

Anywhere with a good pair of headphones.

If This Song Was a Celebrity It Would Be:

Don Cheadle - The I can be funny, socially conscience, dramatic and whatever you want me to be Don Cheadle. You want Boogie Nights, sure, you want Hotel Rwanda, I can bring it, you want Oceans Thirteen, no, nobody wanted that.


Sabali - Amadou & Mariam