Thursday, April 9, 2009

Jay-Z & Notorious B.I.G. - Allure (Ratatat Remix)

In the hip-hop spirit that Rob Roy's Fur in My Cap has put me in:
Oh my Ratatat, this remix is what the kids would call "hawt!" Yet another fantastic posthumous contribution from Biggie. The original "Allure" off Jay-Z's album The Black Album is a more laid back affair with suave background vocals and thin synth-string foundation. It would be unforgivable to not mention the repeated pistol sample (yeah, really original M.I.A.). To be honest, not a real big fan of the original.

So Ratatat came along and gave "Allure" some ballz. Where the original's arrangement was almost passive, this remix is as aggressive as the lyrics. The addition of Notorious B.I.G. "I grew up a fuckin' screw-up," sends it into another stratosphere.

Song Breakdown

Best Place and Time for Listen:

Anywhere your hip-hop cred is being called into question. It's also a great way to incite your weary soul on the morning drive into work . . . hey you, don't turn it down when you hit that red light.

If This Song Was a Celebrity It Would Be:

Vinnie Jones.