Thursday, April 16, 2009

Meiko: Reasons to Love You

I am very happy to turn the Listen Up reigns over to my cohort this morning, as she had a particular fancy for Meiko's "Reasons to Love You." Enjoy suckas!


Overheard this morning: "I like girly music."

Who uttered that revealing confession? None other than our own Prafessa Hotsawze. That being said, today's song is in homage to PH's girlish side. Meiko induces a pleasantly sweet-but-not-sticky dream state as she sings "Reasons to Love You." As she sings, she makes me love her, and the meandering guitar as it takes it's time growing like a vine around her vocals. Somehow the simplicity of her lyrics and the richness of her voice ground the song, keeping it from becoming squishy and transparent.

"I wanna dream away with you tonite, we can go anywhere you would like. I wanna feel how I wanna feel forever...."

Song Breakdown

Best Place and Time for a Listen:

While doing any or all of these fantastically visceral activities:

  • picking wildflowers

  • spitting watermelon seeds (yeah I said it)

  • putting your toes in warm sand

  • hearing laughter carried up like fat clouds overhead

  • smelling the cool crisp light blue sheets fresh off the line

  • picking berries with purple fingers

  • canoeing slowly under a thick tree canopy

If This Song Was a Celebrity It Would Be:

Katharine Hepburn, looking radiant.


Reasons To Love You - Meiko